Sunday, March 26, 2006

What makes a blog popular?

Posted by JeanellePaige at 5:43 PM
So, I joined the 'top blog' thing a little bit ago. I go there to click on banners that look cool, find some new things, learn about people..... What makes a blog #1 compared to #200? Is it freebies? Is it rambling about absolutely nothing that has to do with digi-scrapping? Is it just being one of the 'top' designers and your loyal customers visit you more than once a day? I mean, I really don't know. You know what it feels like to me? This little (or HUGE) blog world is like a clique, like on message boards. You have friends, lots of 'em, and when you post things, you are 'talking' to them. I never was part of a clique. I was the quiet kid with a couple friends. Even on the net where I can hide behind the screen and really be anything or anyone I want, I am still shy. I try to do massage boards, but it always ends up feeling like no one will really notice if I wasn't there. In real life I only have 2 friends, one of which only talks to me when she wants something. So, I wonder who reads this blog? People who happen upon it? Loyal customers, online friends, bored people that are just searching for something to do? Oh well. When I go to the 'top board' site, I always start clicking on the lower ranked sites...the ones that don't get that many views, and I always find something funny, unique, interesting and new. So, I guess if it wasn't for the un-popular blogs I wouldn't find the fun things I do!! :)

8 friends stopped by to say...:

{Paige} on 3/26/2006 6:45 PM said...

This is so funny that you posted this because it is exactly how I feel!!! I joined that too...don't know why maybe it is part of trying to be with the in crowd! But a lot of those in the top 20 even 60 aren't any more interesting then those at the bottom. I do think that the promise of a freebie is why some of them linger up there!!

Andrea on 3/27/2006 9:04 AM said...

It's kind of funny, since I was wondering about the exact same thing lately ... :o) Well - I AM constantly visiting your blog ... because it's fun - because I like your postings - because I like your designs ... want me to go on?!? *g* Anyway ... just my 2 cents about your thoughts ... Take care - Andrea

Kerri on 3/27/2006 9:08 AM said...

You know, Jeanelle, we actually have a lot in common! I can relate to the shy feelings and everything. In fact, I was the little girl that, during a recital, I pulled my skirt over my head at 5 years old when I realized there was an audience! I was the little girl always found burying her head in her mom's skirts when we went anywhere in public. I was the one my mom was worried about because I was so painfully shy!

I can also relate to even being shy on the 'net. I have a blog and have not publicized it. I have let family and friends know about it and that is about it. And, when last week a friend of mine told me that he had read my blog I was embarrassed! Now, why would I be embarrassed? That is the point of a blog, to be read, isn't it?

pattyanne on 3/28/2006 9:36 PM said...

Hi Jeanelle… I just found your blog and think it is great! Your designs are gorgeous… but your honesty is absolutely the best… I love that you blogged about this issue - and you are so right on the head of it… I go for the underdog myself… and girl, you rawk… so you just keep blogging and you'll know who your groupies are soon enough - because you are one with a voice for the rest of us shy girls… Hugs to you and yours… see ya at 3S!

Margie on 3/30/2006 3:04 AM said...

Funny-I do the same-start reading from the last page (usually boot myself even further to the bottom doing this too LOL) Not into popularity-never was-so just blog on and we will keep reading :)

Jheri on 3/30/2006 10:10 AM said...

I read your blog...but wait does that mean I'm bord and have no life...I hope not... :)

Seriously, you hit the nail right on the head. Your opinions are shared by me and many others I bet.

I think comments on layouts fall on the same wagon... Popular or not , comments or no comments.

Try not to lose too much sleep over it. You know who your loyal friends are... the boring ones, with no life... I'm JOKIN, ALREADY!
It's like what Pattyanne said... you Rawk!

Lis on 4/01/2006 2:34 AM said...

Ditto to everything Pattyanne said!!!!

Kelly on 4/08/2006 8:43 AM said...

I visit your blog! :) (waving wildly!) I am actually pretty shy myself and have a couple of very close friends.... one of them being my sister. :) I was never a "popular" kid and have always been pretty quiet and a little introverted. But that's okay... God made us all different. It used to bother me, until I realized that I am just fine the way I am. This is how God made me to be and it is okay if I like myself. So... I don't mind being at the bottom of the list, the top, or anywhere in between.... I am just blessed that I have had the opportunity to meet some great, talented, and very interesting people... Like YOU! :)

 

..Life.. as I know it. {JPDESIGNS}